Consumer Reports recently came out with some guidelines for use of mosquito Repellents as well as information on what ingredients to look for to keep your family safe from possibly contracting a mosquito-borne illness. The most effective active ingredients, according to CR, are DEET, Picaridin, Lemon Eucalyptus, and 1R3535.
Repellents that use DEET come in different concentrations, from as little as 4% up to 100% DEET. Previous tests done by CR revealed that a concentration of 30% DEET provides maximum effectiveness, and recommends that you avoid higher concentrations of DEET, and that you don’t use it at all on infants younger than 2 months old.
To see the results of the Consumer Reports product testing on repellents, click here.
Women who are pregnant or nursing can safely use deet, picaridin, lemon eucalyptus, and IR3535, according to the EPA, if they are applied properly. The EPA recommends that you follow these guidelines for application of repellent:
- Apply only to exposed skin or clothing, use only as much as needed, and never apply repellent underneath clothing.
- Don’t apply repellents over cuts, wounds, or irritated skin or immediately after shaving.
- When applying to your face, spray repellent onto your hands and rub it in, taking care not to get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Apply repellent onto children by rubbing it on with your hands and apply sparingly to their hands, as they often rub their eyes or mouths.
- Don’t use near food and wash hands before eating or drinking.
- At the end of the day, wash treated skin with soap and water, and wash treated clothing in a separate wash before wearing again.
Keep yourself and your family safe this summer through proper use of repellent, and keep your property free of mosquitoes by calling the number one name in Arkansas Pest Control, The Bug Man™. We offer a mosquito treatment plan that will fit your budget while it eradicates mosquitoes around your home.
For insect control that works, call The Bug Man™ at (501) 663-9464 or contact us online here to make an appointment. Estimates are always free and results are guaranteed!